Space Operator II
Front line operations on live spacecraft in a Responsive Space Operations Centre.
About Saber Astronautics
Saber Astronautics is an Australian space company whose mission is to reduce barriers to space flight, making it more accessible to people on Earth. Lead by an experienced team of space operators, data scientists, engineers and UX designers, Saber creates mission operations software (PIGI), space data services (space weather, situational awareness, groundstations), space data visualisation tools and engineering solutions for space companies around the World, as well as the Australian and United States Air Forces. Saber is headquartered in Sydney, NSW with additional offices around Australia and in Colorado, USA.
The Space Operator roles are the front line satellite controllers ensuring the success of space missions at the Responsive Space Operations Centre (RSOC). Operators will use software, tools, procedures, and techniques to ensure that commands and telemetry are transmitted in accordance with customer mission requirements and payload data is received on time. Daily duties include monitoring the health and welfare of satellites, designing and executing commands, and monitoring tracking space traffic and space environment considerations which can affect safety of flight. The Space Operator will be familiar with all phases of flight, from initial planning, considerations of launch, on-orbit, and decommissioning.
In between active space mission operations, the applicant will work on developing the mission operations software and infrastructure based upon their experience in the RSOC. This will involve working on space simulations, cloud infrastructure improvements and integration with the RSOC.
This role requires software and engineering development skills, including skills in the programming languages Python and C#/C++. Familiarity with Unity and/or cloud (AWS) microservice architecture and development is a bonus but non-essential.
Due to the secure nature of the work you may be required to perform, you must be Australian citizen. Non-negotiable. PR and work visas are not able to be hired for this position.Responsibilities:
- + Ensures that the integrity and quality of all spacecraft commands.
- + Ability to quickly understanding Satellite Operations SOPs for new RSOC customer spacecraft.
- + Monitor space weather and space traffic, and account for these conditions in live operation.
- + Prototype and extend mission control features to improve operations.
- + Other duties as assigned.
- + A university degree in space engineering, SATCOM, systems, and/or equivalent experience
- + Minimum three (3) years experience in the space industry
- + Knowledge of space and satellite systems
- + Strong knowledge in orbital mechanics
- + Strong relationship and communication skills
- + Solid Python and/or C#/C++ programming skills (applicants without skills in both Python and C family languages will be trained in the other on the job)
- + Must be an Australian citizen
- + Must be an Australian citizen
- + Ability to multitask, react, solve problems and obtain results under pressures of live operations, including under pressure during television production and live broadcasts.
- + Ability to interact with diverse individuals including management, employees, and outside vendors/consultants.
- + Must be detail-oriented self-starter and the ability to remain professional under stress.
- + Able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a high pressure environment.
- + Strong communication skills and ability to interface with multiple departments, clients and vendors.
- + Conducts self in an appropriate manner and values consistent with Saber Astronautics
How to Apply
All applications need the following information supplied:
- + Cover letter
- + Evidence of Australian Citizenship
- + CV or Resume
- + Portfolio of prior work:
- - Code samples in Python and/or C#/C++ - Required
- - Other projects you have worked on that you believe will strengthen your application
Once you have assembled your application, email the completed bundle to: email@example.com the with the job role as the email subject.
Applications Close: 5pm 12 July 2020 AEST.